The MBSEF Trail Running Program~NEW for Spring 2023!
Mt. Bachelor Sports Education Foundation programs are available to current MBSEF athletes and Non-Winter Program Athletes alike.
The MBSEF trail running program is an 8 week program to introduce youth ages 13-18 to the sport of trail running through education, experience, and events. The goal is to educate youth interested in trail running in the skills and tools needed to participate in trail runs safely such as map and compass skills, using phone and watch apps as resources, simple first aid techniques, and trail running technique. It will also help build fitness through weekly runs on local trails and build confidence in the outdoors through the progression from easy “out-the-back-door” trails to more mountainous wilderness trails.
Trail racing opportunities will be available but not mandatory as part of the program. We will focus on a non-competitive approach to the sport with an emphasis on fun and enjoying the beautiful Central Oregon trails.
What to Expect
The program will run Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from MBSEF headquarters, April 24 through June 22, 2023.
Monday 4:15 – 6:00pm
Wednesday 3:15 – 6:00pm
Thursday 4:15 – 6:00pm
Runs will be on local trails guided by MBSEF coaches. Some of our runs will leave directly from MBSEF HQ and other runs we will travel by van to a trail for a different experience. Water will be provided but participants should bring their own snacks.
Participants should provide their own equipment including:
- Fitness – a basic level of fitness to run 3-5mi without stopping is preferred
- Shoes – a quality running shoe. Road running shoes are ok, but trail shoes are preferred.
- Shorts – a quality technical running short
- Jacket – a light windjacket in case of inclement weather that can be carried with them on runs
- Pack – not mandatory but nice to have to carry food, water, and extra clothing
If you are unsure please ask.