The MBSEF Adventure Racing Program~NEW for Spring 2023!
Mt. Bachelor Sports Education Foundation programs are available to current MBSEF athletes and Non-Winter Program Athletes alike.
This is a fun, 8-week “Intro to Adventure Racing” program that ends with an optional race! Adventure racing is a multi-disciplined event, where teams of 2, 3 and 4 use a map and compass to bike, run/trek and paddle their way to different checkpoints on a set course. You could compare it to an athletic & adventurous outdoor scavenger hunt!
Our program aims to introduce and teach youth about a few of the main disciplines found in adventure racing: orienteering (map and compass reading), mountain biking, trekking & trail running and most importantly, team work. Through practicing and learning these disciplines youth also learn about being resilient, adaptable and communicative athletes who have both stamina and grit.
This program is for 13-18 year olds that already have a some basic experience with trail running and mountain biking.
What to Expect
The program will run on Monday & Wednesday from MBSEF headquarters, starting April 24th and ending on June 14.
Monday 4:15 – 6:15pm
Wednesday 3:15 – 6:15pm
Most adventures will leave from the MBSEF facility though vans might be used on some occasions. Water will be provided but participants should bring their own snacks. Program cost $455
Participants should provide their own equipment including:
- Fitness – a basic level of fitness to run 1-2 miles and bike 5-8 miles would be excellent.
- Appropriate clothing for the day’s adventures including shorts, athletic pants, and trail running shoes
- A mountain bike in good working order & a basic bike repair kit (tube, CO2, pump)
- Mountain bike helmet
- Jacket – a light windjacket in case of inclement weather that can be carried with them on runs
- Hydration Pack – to carry food, water, and extra clothing
If you are unsure please ask.